EDITOR’S NOTE: This story was updated on Oct. 18, 2023
Indianapolis is home to many nice local coffee shops and restaurants. We’ve found some great spots that can give you a caffeine boost and a place to study, all within a 10-minute drive from campus!
The Amp is walking distance from campus. It features 20 vendors with a wide variety including burgers, pastries and poke bowls. For a caffeine boost, try Tinker Coffee. Students get to size up for free!
- Where: 220 Waterway Blvd.,
- Hours: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday; closed Sunday.
Parlor Public House
Parlor Public House is a great location to study and get a special seasonal coffee (or handcrafted drinks in the evening). Enjoy the ambiance and greenery downstairs, or find a quiet spot to study upstairs.
- Where: 600 E. Ohio St., Suite B.
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, 8 a.m. to midnight Thursday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday; closed Monday.
Gallery Pastry Bar
Gallery Pastry Bar is a 10-minute drive from campus, located across from Gainbridge Fieldhouse. It has homestyle and breakfast food options, as well as various pastries and drinks. It’s a nice atmosphere to sit and chat with friends, and you can watch bakers decorate the pastries.
- Where: 110 S. Pennsylvania St., Suite B.
- Hours: 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday to Tuesday and 8:45 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday to Saturday.
Lincoln Lane Coffee Co.
Lincoln Lane Coffee Co. has various coffee options and pastries, as well as lots of space to hang out with friends or study. It has several games to play and a laundromat attached.
- Where: 516 Lincoln St.
- Hours: 8 a.m. to– 3 p.m. Monday to Saturday; closed Sunday.
Command Coffee is a five-minute drive from campus. It has a variety of coffee drinks, breakfast sandwiches and healthy food options from local businesses. It also features a drive-thru for people on the go.
- Where: 2910 N. College Ave.
- Hours: 4:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday, 5 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Helm Coffee Co.
Located south of downtown Indianapolis. Helm Coffee Co., has a cozy vibe and specialty coffee. It is an LGBTQ- and women-owned coffee roaster and they import their coffee beans from around the world, including Ethiopia, Colombia and Guatemala. In addition to their specialty blends, they also offer unique seasonal flavors and fresh pastries.
- Where: 2324 Shelby St.
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday to Sunday; closed Monday and Tuesday.
Nine Lives Cat Café
Grab a latte and play with some adoptable cats at Nine Lives Cat Café in Fountain Square. In addition to the cat lounge, there are spots for studying, meeting spaces and more.
- Where: 1315 Shelby St.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday; closed Wednesday.
Red Door Café at The Cyrus Place
Downtown, on the corner of New York St. and East St, you’ll find the Red Door Café in a beautiful historic brick building. It’s a quiet atmosphere with specialty coffee, tea or pastries.
- Where: 237 N. East St.
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday; closed Sunday.