Committee named to lead search for vice provost for research Bloomington
By IU Bloomington Today
May 04, 2023
Indiana University Vice President for Research Fred H. Cate and IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Rahul Shrivastav have appointed a new committee to identify candidates for the position of associate vice president and vice provost for research Bloomington. This position will report jointly to the vice president for research, which will transition to Russell Mumper on July 1, and to the provost.
The associate vice president and vice provost for research will lead research and creative activity on the Bloomington campus and collaborate closely with faculty, academic deans, research centers, institutes, museums, and other university and campus leaders to strategically advance the campus’s research enterprise and fulfill the ambitious goals in the IU Bloomington 2030 strategic plan.
“The associate vice president and vice provost for research will play a pivotal role as we move into the implementation phase of the IUB 2030 strategic plan,” Cate said. “I am thankful to Scott Michaels for agreeing to chair the search and to the entire committee for the careful and time-consuming work ahead. And I am deeply grateful to Brea Perry, who has served effectively and energetically in this critical interim leadership role while managing a robust, active research portfolio.”
Perry, the Allen D. and Polly S. Grimshaw Professor in the College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Sociology, has served as interim vice provost for research since July 2022 and plans to enter sabbatical leave in the coming months.
“With our strategic plan in motion, we have amplified potential to support translational research and creative activity; advance entrepreneurship and innovation; and demonstrate deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion,” Shrivastav said. “I am excited to collaborate in these endeavors with a senior Bloomington research colleague who has the experience and connections necessary to reach new levels of impact and distinction.”
Michaels, professor and chair of the College’s Department of Biology, will chair the committee. The search committee includes representatives of faculty, staff and students at IU Bloomington. In addition to Michaels as chair, members are:
- Justin Garcia, Ruth N. Halls Professor of Gender Studies and executive director of the Kinsey Institute.
- Hui-Chen Lu, director and Linda and Jack Gill Chair for the Gill Center for Biomolecular Science and professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Ed Dallis-Comentale, strategic advisor to the vice president for research for the arts and humanities, director of the Arts and Humanities Council for IU Bloomington, and professor of English in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Denvil Duncan, associate professor in the Paul H. O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
- Apu Kapadia, professor of computer science and director and chair of the Cybersecurity Risk Management Program in the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering.
- Bethan Roberts, assistant vice president for operations in the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Sagar Samtani, assistant professor of operations and decision technologies and Grant Thornton Scholar in the Kelley School of Business.
- Sara E. Skrabalak, James H. Rudy Professor of Chemistry in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Jillian Kinzie, senior research scientist and interim co-director of the National Survey of Student Engagement in the School of Education.
Further search support will be provided by Abby Van Alstine Brown of the Office of the Provost.